Friday, May 9, 2008

step-mom day?

Mother's Day is hard for me.

I know that I am technically not Red's mother. I am aware of that fact.

However, Ruben and I have primary custody right now and I'm with her everyday. Getting her up for school. Taking her to school. Eating lunch with her occasionally. Going to the school activities. Doing activities with her in the evening. Putting her to bed at night. Listening to the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe with her. Trying to figure out how to afford swimming lessons this summer.

And all she has talked about since Tuesday is seeing her mom this weekend. And I know it's not because she doesn't love Ruben and I. And I'm happy that she gets to see her mom and I'm happy that she wants to see her mom and it is totally normal for her to miss her mom. And I don't have a problem with any of that.

Because I *KNOW* that I am not her mom.

But some days, it's hard to listen to how much she misses her mom. It's hard to help her make something to give her mom for Mother's Day when she doesn't even think about making me something. Maybe if I had some children who I was the actual Mother to, it wouldn't be so hard. Maybe.

Or maybe not.

1 comment:

Morocco said...

So how did your Mother's Day turn out?