Wednesday, July 16, 2008

What a weekend (+ some)

I was looking at the calendar and realized that it was half way through JULY and I had taken all of ONE vacation day all year long! The horror.

So I decided I needed to take two days off. Specifically, Monday and Tuesday of this week. Now I'm back at work after a 4 day weekend. And thinking that maybe I should've made it into a 5 day weekend. But that is besides the point. Because let me tell you, we had so much fun this weekend. And, yes, some of the activities were picked because they were on my list. But other things were picked just because it would be fun.

Friday night: We went to a free concert at a local park. It was some bluegrass guy and the music wasn't bad. Red played on the playground for a little while, then we listened to the concert and ate watermelon and cookies and just sat and enjoyed ourselves.

Saturday: First thing in the morning (7:30am) we went to the Berry Patch and picked Blackberries and Blueberries. Oh and we got soaked because someone forgot to tell mother nature that we were picking berries and it spinkled...and then it rained...and then it sprinkled...and then it POURED. But we still had a good time and walk away with 5 lbs of Blackberries and 2 lbs of Blueberries all for $17. Then my brother-in-law and his girlfriend came over and we played Phase 10 and ate hummus with pita bread. And after that I became a horrible hostess and dosed on the couch while everyone else played the Wii. Then in the evening, I went to a friend's house for a Wii party. This time I did not fall asleep, but I did beat everyone at bowling.

Sunday was our rather lowkey day. We went to church, and to Grandma's for lunch. Then to the pool for about an hour. And that was about all we did. We were lazy people.

Monday was a combination of life as normal and of fun vacation! First off, Red and I had chores to do around the house in the morning. She had her normal reading and math worksheets (because I'm a huge meany that makes her do school work during the summer) and then she had her laundry to fold. I had dishes to wash and mine & Ruben's laundry to put away and some other random picking up around the house to do. Then after lunch, we went to a petting zoo. This isn't just any petting zoo...it's a free petting zoo. With lots of other things to do also. Some of the activities cost money but I think the entire trip only cost $6 ($3 to ride the pony, $2 for ice cream, $1 to bottle feed a goat). Oh and about $2 in quarters to buy food for the animals. And then I got to watch a goat try to eat Red because he KNEW she had some food and he wanted that food and hmm...maybe this shirt would be tasty! I think it was the same goat that tried to eat my purse. The rest of Monday was rather lowkey. I slept on the couch (because going to the petting zoo wore. me. out.). Then dinner and a trip to home depot with my dad and a quick game of musical furniture with my brother and then making blackberry cake and then going to bed. (Musical furniture is when you pass furniture around to another family member. Currently my livingroom has a couch(that I bought), a loveseat(from my mom), a comfy chair(from my mom) and two reclining chairs(for my brother who got them from my mom), as well as my mom's old end tables that my dad made in woodshop forever ago and a coffee table that Ruben's mom gave us earlier this year. We are special and none of it matches.)

Tuesday was not quite as exciting as Monday. We did our normal morning stuff again. Then after lunch and some errands we went to the pool for about an hour and a half. And I got sunburnt. :( Then we went home and then because you know, spending time at the pool wasn't enough, we set up our slip'n'slide (that I bought on Monday during the depot run). And Red slip'n'slided for about 30-45 minutes. On her knees. She is a wee bit scared of sliding on her stomach. Then after dinner we made homemade icecream in ziploc bags and went to a park.

And now...I'm back at work.

No comments: