Thursday, August 16, 2007

First Day Of School

I did end up taking yesterday off from work. I took Anaya to school in the morning and walked her to her classroom. Then I left and ran errands and mowed the front yard and basically just hung around the house until school was over. She only had a half day, so she got a little before noon. Then we had a snack and a visit to the dentist. Anaya now has a timer to tell her when she has brushed long enough. Then we had lunch and then we made sugar cookies with pink strawberry icing. Yummy.

She had a pretty good first day. The neighbor boy sits across from her. I don't know how long that will last since they both have a history of getting in trouble for talking too much. But we'll see. There's a girl in her class that she knows from church. And the little boy that lives behind us that told Anaya she was ugly and fat is also in her class. We're all 'thrilled' about that one. She likes her teacher so far. Getting details out of her about what she did or didn't like about school is like questioning a spy. All one word answers. I always thought kids just talked and talked and talked. But for us, it's like, "So, how was your first day?"..."Fine"..."Did you know anyone in your class from church?"..."Yeah"..."Who?"..."[names]"..."What did you do?"... and so the conversation goes.

Last night we ended up going over to our neighbor's house and chilling in their pool for a little while. Anaya is now invited to come over any day after 5pm. So I imagine we'll be spending some more time running over there and playing in their pool.

1 comment: