Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Sickness

On Monday, Red came back from her mom's house. She was complaining of an upset stomach - but seriously, this child is ALWAYS complaining about some physical ailment. We figured maybe the gas station sandwich her mom bought her hadn't agreed with her stomach and let her lounge about and watch a movie since she didn't have homework and I had to tutor anyways. I got home from tutoring a little after 8pm and decide that she must have some dinner in her stomach - I'm mean like that.

[Just as a side note - we never force her to eat when she's full. We are not believers of clean your plate. We are believers of eat until your body says you're full, but don't stuff yourself. However, there are times when a person's stomach is upset and their brain says, "I don't want food" but they do actually need food.]

So I make her a bowl of Chicken & Stars soup and take it to the livingroom for her to eat. And I pull a tray table over to her and put the bowl on the table and walk upstairs to finish something. And Ruben says to me, she's throwing up. She has not even taken a bite of the soup so it's not the soup it was just finally time for whatever was making her feel sick to come out. And it did. On the blankets, on the couch and on the carpet. You want to know where she didn't throw up, in the trashcan sitting next to the couch for this very purpose. Although in her defense she might have thought reaching for the trashcan would've caused her to knock over the soup. We explained that we'd prefer to have soup all over the floor rather than throw up all over the floor and couch.

At this point we're wondering if there was something wrong with the sandwich - you know, food poisoning type of wrong. Well, we called her mom because her mom's BF and one of his daughters had the same sandwich Red had. Her mom's response, "Yeah, Drizella was throwing up all weekend." AND for some reason they decided not to let us in on this information! If we had at least KNOWN that Red had been around someone sick we would've been prepared. We would've known what could possibly be coming. But instead I spent 30 minutes cleaning puke out of the carpet and couch and washing blankets. Then Red threw up again - this time in the trashcan - on her way to bed. Then we tucked her in and I ran to the grocery store for the special President's Day Sale and she throw up again just before I got back (again in the trashcan). Then Ruben & I went to bed and then she threw up again (and she had the diarrhea so I got to wash sheets at 12:30am). She slept for a little bit but was then up and in the bathroom again around 1am. After that she watched the rest of a movie on the portable DVD player and then she went to sleep around 1:30am. And she slept until 8am.

She's feeling better and hopefully I don't get it next. Although it took her about 2-3 days to get sick so if I have it, I'll be getting sick either today or tomorrow.

1 comment:

Jenni said...

I feel your pain in this post, lol. There's 4 of us here, my oldest in High school, my youngest in middle school, and I work part time retail. On top of that, DH works at the sewer plant. YUKKK! Anywhooo, whenever 1 gets sick here, it goes down the line to get us all, usually(knocking wood).Hope Red feels better by now! Keep posting!