Tuesday, May 20, 2008

good neighbors

First off, Callie has returned. Ruben is going to make a vet appointment for her since she was out for so long. Our neighbor called Ruben's cell phone at 2:15am to tell us that Callie was outside. Ruben...can sleep through ANYTHING. I can't. I used to be able to until Red came into my life. Now I wake up to any sound.

So, Ruben's cell phone rang and it woke me up. But I was very confused and didn't know what was going on and was somehow convinced that we had singing plants...yeah, I dunno. So I got up and stumbled around to the bathroom and went back to bed. At which point Ruben receives a text message from this same neighbor. I don't usually mess with Ruben's phone besides to just make it shut up. So I didn't check to see what the text said.

Then I'm laying there and I think that I hear the doorbell ring. Now Ruben is still asleep. And I'm running around in my PJs which are short shorts and a strappy tank top - not something I wear in front of people. So I peek downstairs and see someone standing at our door wearing a white shirt. I'm fairly certain it is either our neighbor since he's been calling us. Then as I'm debating between waking Ruben, putting on a robe or just going downstairs, the person at the door moves and I see they are holding Callie!

I ran downstairs in my PJs and open the door...to our 17-yr old neighbor. And thank him profusely for finding our cat and make some comment about my PJs and he said something about not being sure about waking us up. I told him it was fine and thanked him some more. Then I went inside and tried to figure out what to do with our cat because I didn't know if we wanted her around the other cats since we didn't know if she'd gotten into anything while she'd been out (for almost whole 2 days!).

Our neighbors are the best neighbors a person could ask for. There's D the Dad, J the 17-yr old son and L the 8-yr old son. L and Red are friends and love to play outside together. J is the best teenager I know. He's always willing to mow our lawn or cut branches off our trees and just be generally helpful - not a trait I see in most teens. Sure he's a bit of a smartass, but he's a really good kid and he just graduated this weekend! And D. D is just great. He will mow the front yard if he's out mowing his and ours needs it. He and Ruben are buddies. And on Saturday, he trimmed the tree in our front yard (because it needed it bad).

No comments: