Monday, November 10, 2008

bread vs. muffins

My mom likes to make loaves of bread - banana-nut, zucchini, pumpkin, apple, whatever!

Me...I prefer Muffins. I think this is because I'm lazy. Once I make the bread from scratch, I would then have to wrap it up in saran wrap (which never works well for me) and then I have to get a knife out anytime I want a piece and I have to deal with the saran wrap all the freaking time. Basically, the process of getting a slice of bread is more than I want to deal with. Therefore...muffins! Put them in a container. Then grab one (or two) and put the lid back on! Easy! That's what I like.

Banana Muffins
(modified recipe from allrecipes)

3/4 cup white sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup oil
1/2 tsp vanilla
3 ripe bananas - mashed
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Mix sugar, oil, egg and vanilla together.
Add in mashed bananas (and walnuts).
Add flour, salt, baking soda and cinnamon.
Mix until smooth.

Spoon into 12 greased muffin tins.
Bake for 350 for 20 to 30 minutes.


Zucchini Muffins
(recipe from my mom)

3 eggs
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup oil
2 cups shredded Zucchini
2 tsp vanilla
3 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup nuts (optional)

Mix together eggs, sugar, zucchini, oil and vanilla.
In another bowl mix together flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
Pour flour mixture into egg mixture and stir to mix.

Bread:
Pour into two 4-1/2 x 9 greased loaf pans
Bake at 325 for 1 hour and 10 minutes

Muffins:
Spoon into 24 greased muffins tins
Bake at 350 for 25 to 35 minutes

The other plus to making muffins instead of bread. Loaves of bread have to bake for a little more than an hour usually. Muffins have to bake about 20 to 30 minutes. Much quicker start to eat time. :) And I'm all about getting it done and being able to EAT!

No comments: